1. Welcome to I've Had That a place where as a community we can catalog and discuss cigars, beer, and whiskey. Please register and introduce yourself.
    Dismiss Notice

Holy of holies!

Discussion in 'The Cabinet - Whiskey Discussion' started by mhodges46, Jun 1, 2016.

1. mhodges46

mhodges46 More than a n00b

[​IMG]
    I have reached the pinnacle. I have reached the holy of holies. I have tasted the golden elixir that is...20 year old Pappy Van Winkle! I am savoring this to the very last drop. It may well take me a long, long time to finish this snifter!

C10CKO, deford and NateR like this.
  2. marksd

marksd King of the n00bs
    Inner Circle Member

How much $$??

3. mhodges46

It was a very reasonable $25 for the dram. Notice he would not take his hand off the bottle.

4. deford

deford Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Inner Circle Member

Nice...a buddy recently paid 120 here in SoCal....you got a deal and a half!!! How'd you like it??

5. dom guarnaccia

dom guarnaccia King of the n00bs
    Inner Circle Member

Not raining on your parade at all but a friend of mine and I were having a debate about buying pappy at bars. I don't mind the younger stuff for an ok price but he refuses because he's worried about them diluting it with other whiskeys or just pouring other whisky I'm that bottle. What say you?

moose77 likes this.
  6. deford

deford Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Inner Circle Member

Personally never had it out....been pretty lucky and spent some serious time chasing the distributor around town....

mhodges46 likes this.
  7. mhodges46

I was extremely impressed. It has a sort of caramel right in the beginning that stays with you for a while after the glass is finished. There is a reason why it is so sought after.

8. mhodges46

I know what you're saying and I had to wonder the same thing. The only thing I can say is it was a once in a lifetime chance at what is a highly sought after bourbon, so I chose the risk. The bourbon that was in my glass was extremely well made and tasted like everything I have ever heard. The only way I will ever be able to know the difference is to get my hands on an unopened bottle (if there is a God), and taste that first beautiful, caramel taste that comes out of the bottle. Now, I'm getting misty eyed just thinking about it. lol.

NateR and dom guarnaccia like this.