1. Welcome to I've Had That a place where as a community we can catalog and discuss cigars, beer, and whiskey. Please register and introduce yourself.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Space Whiskey

Discussion in 'The Cabinet - Whiskey Discussion' started by Eric, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Eric

Eric Grand poobah of all that I survey.
    Staff Member Admin

What next???

BN-JQ714_jsunto_G_20150731025238.jpg

Not content with having the best whisky in the world, Suntory Holdings Ltd. plans to take its whisky out of this world and into space.

The Japanese brewing and distilling company said this week it would send a total of six samples of its whiskies and other alcoholic beverages to the International Space Station, where they will be kept for at least a year to study the effect zero gravity has on aging.

According to a spokesman at the company, the samples, which will be carried in glass flasks, will include both a 21-year-old single malt and a beverage that has just been distilled. Research has shown that whisky aged in an environment with little temperature change, convection of fluids and shaking tends to be become “mellower,” he said.

The company hopes to learn how the ultimate zero gravity environment affects the taste of their products, he added.

There are no plans to make the space-aged whisky available for purchase. The samples will be studied in labs once they return to Earth and whisky blenders will taste them to compare them with those aged on the ground.

The samples will be carried to the space station on Aug. 16 on Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency’s transfer vehicle Kounotori. The first samples will return to Earth in about a year, while the rest will remain in space for at least two years.

- SOURCE

jdmitch, Simon and Jordan like this.
  2. Jordan

Jordan Son of Poobah
    Staff Member Admin Inner Circle

What glass flasks? No barrel? I don't see the point...

3. deford

deford Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Inner Circle Member

I think its to isolate the test to only a lack of gravity....not aging. They should age some too though

jdmitch and moose77 like this.