1. Welcome to I've Had That a place where as a community we can catalog and discuss cigars, beer, and whiskey. Please register and introduce yourself.
    Dismiss Notice

Bourbon W. L. Weller 12 yr.

Discussion in 'Whiskey Database' started by Ky Bourbon, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Ky Bourbon

Ky Bourbon Had too much
    Inner Circle Member

IMG_0018_2.jpg
    Bottled By:
    Buffalo Trace Dist.
    Alcohol content: 45% / 90 proof
    Type: Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
    Mashbill: Wheat based

Ok, this is my first real review so if my terms or descriptions seem a little off, well cut me a little slack....

I have never had 12 yr Van Winkle, I have had 10 and 15 yr, that being said this is NOT Van Winkle by another name, any more then Pepsi is to Coke. That being said it is a very very good Bourbon, and when you are in the mood for Van Winkle the family relationship is detectable. It has a very sweet smell, kinda puts me to thinking brown sugar. Then as the bourbon covers the tongue it has an ever so slight bit of heat, not really a burn, but enough to say hey I'm 90 proof but a smooth 90 proof. As you finish that first sip off there is a maple-ie sweet flavor with a smooth 90 proof reminder that yes this is bourbon and in a flash its over and I'm thinking...... I need another drink of this. Is this Van Winkle by another name. HELL NO!! this is 12 yr W. L. Weller, named after the father of wheated bourbon (reportedly) and it is incredible. The fact that, in my area, it is only $25.00 is just icing on the cake.

TW, NateR, marksd and 2 others like this.
  2. marksd

marksd King of the n00bs
    Inner Circle Member

Very good review!! Damn good! I almost tasted it with out drinking it!! Cough..have you ever looked into the phone operator business :)?

Ky Bourbon likes this.
  3. brbnizgud

brbnizgud Had a lot
    Inner Circle Member

Van Winkle Lot B is 12 yrs and 90.4 pf. The Weller 12 is 90 pf. The same mashbill is used for both whiskey's but the W12 is significantly cheaper.

Simon likes this.
  4. Simon

Simon King of the n00bs
    Inner Circle Member

& wayyyyyy easier to find

jdmitch and deford like this.